Step 1: Creating a Mood Board for Your House Using Pinterest
Before you start decorating your home, it's a good idea to know how you want it to look and feel. Pinterest is a great place to make a digital mood board. Find ideas for decorating your home that you like and pin them to your board. Look for colour schemes, ways of arranging furniture, and artistic touches that you like. This will help you figure out your style and choose how to decorate.
Step 2: Facebook Marketplace and Thrifting
It can be expensive to furnish a home, but there are ways to get the look you want for less money. Facebook Marketplace and thrift shops are great places to find furniture and decorations that won't break the bank. You might be surprised by how many great things you can find, from gently used chairs and tables to one-of-a-kind decor. Remember to haggle over costs and thoroughly scrutinize everything before purchase. Thrifting saves you money and gives your home a unique look with one-of-a-kind items.
Step 3: Buying Key Investment Pieces
While thrifting is a great method to save money, there are some items worth investing in. These crucial pieces serve as the foundation of your home design and are built to last. You might want to spend more on items like a comfortable mattress, a sturdy sofa, and important kitchen tools. Investing in high-quality items today can save you money in the long run by reducing the need for regular replacements.
Step 4: Putting It All Together – Tips for Styling Your Home
Now that you've gathered your inspiration, found budget-friendly items, and invested in key pieces, it's time to put it all together and style your home:
· Mix High and Low: Don't hesitate to mix expensive items with budget finds. This creates a balanced and personalized look.
· Focus on Layout: Arrange furniture in a way that promotes good flow and functionality. Consider how you'll use each space and arrange items accordingly.
· Add Personal Touches: Display items that hold sentimental value, such as photographs or souvenirs from your home country. You can do this simply by buying an arrangement of affordable frames, you can find tons of affordable options at Ikea. Once you’ve acquired the frames create a gallery wall of your favourite sentimental pieces. Renter Tip: Use command strips (which can be purchased at Home Depot) for easy and damage-free application/removal.
· Use Textiles: Incorporate textiles like rugs, curtains, and throw pillows to add warmth and texture to your home.
· Lighting Matters: Good lighting can transform a space. Experiment with different types of lighting to create the right ambiance. Low warm lighting can contribute to your home feeling more comfortable and flattering to the eye.
· Plants and Greenery: Indoor plants not only add a touch of nature but also improve air quality and create a relaxing atmosphere. Check out our Instagram post to find out which plants are best suited for apartment living.
· Declutter Regularly: Keep your space organized and clutter-free. Regularly assess items and consider donating or selling things you no longer need.
By following these steps and incorporating these tips, you'll be well on your way to creating a welcoming and stylish home that reflects your personality and makes you feel comfortable in your new environment. Remember, decorating on a budget is all about creativity, patience, and making thoughtful choices that contribute to the overall charm of your space.